Monday, January 19, 2009

Porch Puffer



When I woke this morning to the definitely pungent scent of chicken poop, I surmised that it might be wise to find a new ward in the chicken hospital. It seemed like Puffer was well enough to spend time in the sun on the East porch.

Yesterday, I cleaned Puffer's box, but still, she seems to be pooping more, the more she is hand-fed scraps of apple, bread, fruit and veggie peelings. So her warm clean paper floor was littered with lots of poop this morning.

After I clean the main chicken coop in the East end of my garage, I cleaned Puffer's box and set her out on the porch. She seems much better and is eating and drinking very well. She still is limping on her right leg. I don't want to return her to the flock while she is handicapped. I will watch her on the porch today, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday from work, and perhaps determine if she can tolerate being on the porch through the night. Meanwhile, I am going to a thrift store to look for a playpen to keep her in so she has room to exercise her leg and scratch a bit on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment